fredag 13 november 2009

THE STORY OF SHAYTAN (Satan) Part 3.


"I asked Him to make for me a home, and it was the bathhouse. I asked Him to make for me a mosque, and it was the bazaars. I asked Him to make for me a call to prayer, and it was the sound of flutes.

I asked Him to make for me a bedfellow, and he was the drunkard. I asked Him to make for me some servants, and they are the abilitarians. I asked Him to make for me some companions, and He said: 'Those whose fortunes are squandered in sin.'

And then recited His verse: 'The squanderers are brothers of Satan.'"7 "Were you not offering me verification in verses of the Book of Allah Almighty for every word," said the Prophet (PBUH), "I would not believe you."

"Muhammad, he said, "I asked Allah Almighty that I may see the sons of Adam (AS) while they see me not, so He caused me to flow in their veins like blood and granted my soul the freedom to roam as I wish.

If I want something within the hour, Allah Almighty says, 'You shall have what you seek,' and of that I can boast until Resurrection day. Those with me are more numerous than those with you, and most of the progeny of Adam (AS) are with me until the Resurrection day."

"I have a son whom I call 'Atama; he urinates in the ear of the worshiper if he sleeps through the evening prayer, and were it not for that people would not fall asleep until they had performed the prayer.

I have a son whom I call Mutaqadi; when a believer privately performs a pious deed and wants to keep it secret, he never stops trying to drag it out of him in front of others until he tells people about it. Allah Almighty thus cancels ninety-nine of the hundred merits and there remains for him only one, since for every good deed done in secret he gains one hundred merits.

And I have a son whom I call Kahil; it is he who lines the eyes of the people with kohl in the councils of the learned and during the orator's address, until they fall asleep while listening to the words of the scholars.

Thus Allah (SWT) never records merits for them. No woman goes out without a devil sitting at her backside and another at her privates; they make her attractive to those who see her and tell her, 'Stretch forth your hand.' When she does so, her fingertips are exposed and she is disgraced."

Then he said, "Muhammad, I have nothing to do with misguidance; rather I am a whisperer of wicked suggestions and a tempter. If misguidance was within my grasp, I would leave no one on the face of the earth saying 'There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah,' or fasting or praying.

Similarly, you have nothing to do with guidance, but are an apostle and a messenger. If guidance was within your grip, you would leave no unbeliever on the face of the earth. You are Allah's (SWT) proof among His creation, and I am the reason given to one whose misery is foreordained.

The happy man is the one whom Allah (SWT) made so in his mother's womb, and the miserable man is the one whom Allah (SWT) made so in his mother's womb."

Then the Apostle of Allah (PBUH) recited the Word of the Almighty: 'But they continue in their differences, excepting those on whom thy Lord has mercy;'8 and then: 'And Allah's (SWT) command is doom decreed."9

With that the Prophet (PBUH) said, "Abu Murra, turn from sin and return to Allah Almighty, and I will be your guarantee of Paradise." "Muhammad," he replied, "it has been decided, and the pen is dry from recording how things will be until the Resurrection Day. So praised be He who made you the master of the prophets and the preacher to the people of Paradise, singled you out and loved you, and made me the master of the damned and preacher to the people of the Fire, cursed me and banished me. This is all I have to say to you, and indeed, I have done so in good faith."

Praise be to Allah (SWT), Lord of the Worlds, first and last, visible and invisible; and may the blessing of Allah (SWT) be upon our master Muhammad, the unlettered Prophet, and on his family and all his companions, and His peace be upon the Muslims. Praise be to Allah (SWT), Lord of the Worlds. Ameen.

[Notes]:


1. Abu Murra, 'father of Murra (bitter)', was one of Satan's surnames, in this case deriving from his athering of a girl with this name.


2. According to the traditional account, Barisa was entrusted with custody of the ill sister of three brothers who were leaving the country for a time.

Tempted by Satan, Barisa seduces her, and then kills her upon discovering that she was with child. The brothers return, and Barisa tells them the girl died a natural death. Satan, however, reveals the truth to them, and then goes to the terrified monk and offers to save him if he will denounce Allah (SWT) and swear loyalty to Satan. Barisa complies, whereupon Satan mocks him with these words from Surat al-Hashr (56:16).

The story and its literary development are discussed in useful articles in both editions of the Encyclopaedia of Islam, q.v. Barisa.

3. Surat an-Nur (24:61)

4. [skipped number]

5. Surat al-Isra' (17:64)

6. Surat al-Isra' (17:64)

7. Surat al-Isra' (17:27)

8. Surat Hud (11:118,119)

9. Surat al-Ahzab (33:38)

Inga kommentarer: